Friday, October 21, 2011

Winter Cycling Shoes

Hello everyone,

Today's post comes from one of our customers in Michigan. Irwin has been cycling in the winter for over 30 years. Last week, he sent me the following email. So I thought it would be great information to pass along.

Secondly, if you have any additional thoughts to pass along. Please do. We certainly don't think we are the only one with original thoughts.

Enjoy,

Stephen McCarthy
Gear and Training


Post on Winter Cycling:

Electric socks and hand warmers are okay for light outdoor activity. There is a lot of "toy grade" outdoor gear that leaves a bad impression. As a consequence it's easy to write off some of the more serious and expensive solutions that do work.


The problem with all shoes is that the extremities - hands and feet just do not get enough circulation. These areas do not generate sufficient heat by themselves. Insulating materials that create a sufficient barrier tend to be larger and cumbersome.

Irwin from Western Michigan
There obviously are outdoor boots that work in the winter but they are not "bike rider friendly." The ski industry has confronted the issues we are talking about. These are sports enthusiasts that are active in seriously cold conditions and at similar 15-20 mph speeds. They have developed solutions which utilize small, lightweight, battery powered devices to heat the hands, feet, and even the chest area.


Personally I find the chest area rarely be a problem. Electric socks are good for large boots. Close fitting bike shoes and sky boots require a solution that works with those size constraints. Removing the orthotic spacer and replacing it with one that includes a heating element does not change the fit. A little wind protection such as a Goretex shoe cover keeps things comfortable without overworking the battery.


Gloves have come a long way especially with the development of small lithium batteries. They utilize a some insulation and have an exterior Goretex wind shield cover.


With the shoe inserts I usually end up turning the heat up towards the end of a winter ride. On the other hand I turn down the glove heat as the ride progresses and my workout heats my chest and head core areas.


As I mentioned I have been a road rider for over 30 years - I am 59. My typical winter ride today is 90+ minutes and I end the ride comfortably. Before the use of battery gloves and shoe inserts I was limited to 45 minutes and I was often frozen. As I warmed up my toes would feel like they were on fire. Those ride conditions led to the Raynaud's which affect my feet today.


There are other positive comments that I have heard about for the hands. I have heard positive reports regarding the neoprene handlebar covers which fit over the brake/gear shifter area. Let's face it the hands really suffer in the cold wind.

Here are the links for inserts and gloves that he uses:

Hotronics

Gerbing


Stephen McCarthy
Gear and Training
"Attacking Life and Sport Since 2001"

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.